At a Glance
- In 1953, the first Northern American Provincial House of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny was established at 90 Brenton Road in Newport across the street from the Arthur Curtiss James estate, a portion of which was deeded to the Diocese of Providence in 1941.
- Cluny School first opened as a small kindergarten in September, 1957, on the former James estate, in response to a request made to the Sisters from military families stationed on Aquidneck Island. A grade was added each year thereafter until the first Cluny eighth grade graduation in 1965.
- Fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Member of the National Catholic Education Association (NCEA) and the Independent School Association of Rhode Island (ISARI)
- Graduates accepted at best regional private and public high schools
- Average enrollment during last three years: 155 students, preschool through 8th grade
- Average class size: 15 students
- Students come from all communities on Aquidneck Island, as well as some surrounding Bay communities
- Internationally diverse families
- Sixty percent of student body is Catholic
- About 25% of faculty with advanced degrees or currently engaged in graduate studies
- Eight acres; 2 playgrounds, soccer field, 4 vegetable gardens
- 2 recesses daily