The Military Family
Cluny School has been meeting the educational needs of military families since its founding in 1957 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny.
The Early Years: 1957- 1978
In the mid- 1950’s, Commander Black of the U.S. Navy was looking for a location to enroll Navy children, specifically kindergarten-aged children, as other area schools had reached their capacity. During this period there was a thriving Navy presence on Aquidneck Island and as all parochial schools were at capacity Captain and Mrs. Black asked Sister Angela Schwartz (provincial of the Cluny Sisters) to consider opening a school. He suggested to the Sisters that an existing building on the James estate be used to create a Kindergarten. Cluny School first opened its doors in September of 1957 with a small kindergarten. Each year a grade was added until the first Cluny eighth grade graduation in 1965.
In 1960 classrooms for grades 1-3 were constructed and were referred to as the ‘little school.” The stone cottages and the “carriage house” on Brenton Road were used as classrooms while the “big school” was constructed in 1965. Sisters throughout the Province worked and contributed to the cost of the expansion until 1978 the mortgage was retired.
Because of our long history with military families, we appreciate the challenges they face, particularly with regard to frequent and mid-year relocations. Our warm and nurturing environment eases some of the stresses associated with these transitions. As a result, military families quickly feel a part of the Cluny community, and, even when their stay is brief, they make invaluable contributions to the life of the school.
In keeping with Cluny School’s historical association with military families and to honor their sacrifices on behalf of our nation, we offer tuition discounts to those in active service. For more information, please contact the admissions office at 401.847-6043, ext. 422 or via email at email@example.com.